The Commencement Planning Committee has shared with the Board of Trustees a list of recommendations to help us avoid the problems from last year’s commencement. You’ll recall that at last year’s commencement, which lasted 13 hour and 43 minutes, 3 people died from heart attacks, two babies were born, 89 people were hospitalized for drug overdoses, alcohol poisoning, dehydration, and food poisoning, and 4 guests walked away from the event and were never seen again. We recommend:
- Commencement should not last more than five hours.
- All Commencement speeches should be in English.
- Bathrooms on campus should remain open and accessible.
- Campus Riot Police and SWAT team should be on stand-by but should not actively patrol during Commencement.
- All speakers should be required to be sober.
Commencement Planning Committee